Thursday, July 29, 2010

It was a God kicking me in the butt kind of night

I have been questioned and have been questioning what would God have me do for John during this time.

I have tried to live my adult life by three principles found in the Bible, yet I know many atheists who live by these codes better than many people of faith that I know.

From the old testament: Micah 6:8 - What does God ask of you, but to love your God with all of your might, to walk humbly and do social justice. From the new testament: Matthew 7:12 (and also Luke 6:31) Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And the great commandment from Jesus in John and Luke "Love one another as I have loved you."

It's a pretty simple theology, yet almost impossible to live by.

What would be justice for John? What would I have him do for me? And what would be the greatest act of love?

The answers become amazingly simple, don't they? But because I am human and cannot stand to hurt another person, it is not that easy. This is the long good bye at the train station. I cannot bear to part from him, yet know if it were me, it is what I would want. It is the greatest act of love to let go. Let God do this. So, I ask God to give me the strength and courage to get me through these next weeks. John will not die these next weeks. Probably not even these next months. But knowing God's hand is here will help guide me through this next era.

2 comments:

  1. Susan, my heart goes out to you and I will be praying for you as you go through these next three weeks. Sending love and hugs. Velda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do all the good you can,
    By all the means you can,
    In all the ways you can,
    In all the places you can,
    At all the times you can,
    To all the people you can,
    As long as you ever can.
    —John Wesley's Rules

    ReplyDelete