Sunday, July 25, 2010

It was a YOUR IN kind of day...or maybe GIVE IN kind of day

Actually, that would be URINE kind of day. Miss Xena has a mini-lou on the balcony that gets washed with a bucket of water at night - that water gets filtered into a holding tank and I spilled it, releasing that smell on the balcony....several buckets of water on the balcony later.....

John got his schedule confused yesterday by going to bed at 2 in the afternoon. When he got up at 5 and supper was ready, he was totally lost. After supper, he asked for coffee and I refused saying he'd be up all night, so he got a can of soda anyway....uh oh....is right.

So, as usual, I'm up late enjoying my quiet time and got out to the balcony for awhile. When I went to bed...well, there was that smell again - hit me full force. There were his pj's on the floor by my side of the bed, a wet spot on the floor, folded laundry all over the place.

I checked him - no clothes on from the waist down. "Do you want some dry pj's" "No, it's ok"...So I go to bed...Lesson #2 (if you lost count, #1 was soda is the same problem as coffee) #2 PUT THE DRY CLOTHES ON HIM ANYWAY.

At 5:30 this a.m. he gets up at least 3 times to find dry clothes. I tried to ignore this, but I'm in this now, just watching to see what will happen. "It's raining" he says (It's not). "DSDJLFJSJL" which is my interpretation of whatever jibbish he was speaking. He's now sitting up speaking non-sense. Then he'll pop up and check the commode, check the drawers again.

So -I finally give in. After I get him dressed, I gave him his pills, I held his head for awhile. Calmed him. Wrapped him back in the blankets and asleep he went.

Lesson #3. Give in. Let the forces take you where they must. Set aside your needs, his needs are worse. Remember that he is afraid and in need of comfort. Your needs are for simple things like sleep. His cannot be defined. His mind doesn't know what they are.


2 comments:

  1. 100 mg Seroquel is essential before bedtime here along with the condom catheter. Did you say John can't do either one? We tried 25 mg Seroquel in the morning - big mistake! It made him sick then but it works very well during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John is doing 100 mg at bed time and 12.5 at breakfast and lunch - more at lunch if he's on a rant.

    ReplyDelete