Wednesday, July 28, 2010

It was an Every which way but loose kind of day

I'm not even sure where to begin this post. Last night, John was trying to convince shoes to jump up into his lap and got mad when they wouldn't. Then this a.m, as I was trying to get him into the shower, he got so mad at me, I really thought he would hurt me. I threatened to call 911 and have him hauled away. God bless his heart, he stopped and came back to apologize. And tonight I stopped him from running down the hall in the condo in just his underwear - he had to go upstairs to go to bed. He thinks he's back at the house.

We spent the afternoon with his LBD doc at Mayo. The Doc was shocked at John's decline in the last three weeks. That's putting it mildly for me. I've gone from a semi-functioning, semi-rational adult, to a 3 year old. That would be John, not me.

My intention going down there was to have him hospitalized to pull him off of all drugs. But the good doc convinced me to just pull him off the anti-depressant and the anti-psychotic and do it in a hospital. YES!!!!! But to look for any underlying causes first. While we were there, I found a lump in his neck. Could be muscle, could be lymph node - whatever, it needs to be explored.

So. I left this morning with my gut tied up in knots. Is this a sign that maybe there are other angles to consider? Does our gut act as our conscience? Is it God's way of kicking us and saying keep your mind open? The truth is, and anybody who knows me real well will tell you this, I cannot on purpose hurt another creature without a purpose - like butchering turkeys and ducks, cleaning fish - purpose there, I eat those things. But to kill a mouse? Nope. I'm still second guessing having put our cat down at the start of summer. So how am I to start the process of letting John go, knowing the torment that this will cause him???

I've longed believed that the medical community plays God at a time when we should hand over that role to where it belongs. I believed it when my dad died; I especially believed it when my mother-in-law died after they did experimental surgery after experimental surgery while she was dying of liver cancer. Hospice at least let her rest. There was a point with her when we might have prolonged her life a while longer with a Vitamin K shot, but it would've been for our benefit, not hers. I so wanted her to see the baby - she died a week before Nick was born. So obviously, we opted not to give her the shot. She was ready to go. She'd had a stroke while in my arms a few days before she died. She was more worried for me than for her. God bless her.

Letting go and letting God has it's downside and it's slapping me in the face pretty hard right now. So, I think my gut was saying there were too many "What if's" still to explore. When we've exhausted those, will the answer be any easier?

No comments:

Post a Comment